Skip to main content

Trip of a Life Time 2014


January 2013 after my brother, Jonathan and girlfriend Lulani had come to visit us for Christmas - I really wanted to go back to South Africa to visit them, my dad and just experience the place I grew up again. Luckily it didn't take much to convince Ryan to come with me !

In my head I had planned this once in a life time trip - I wanted to go all out and do EVERYTHING. We booked the trip in March (as soon as we could) with Trailfinders. Ryan has a cousin living in Dubai and thought it was a good way to cut short the plane journey and make the most of our holiday to stop off there for a few days on the way to South Africa and on the way back. The plan was to leave the UK 8th January and arrive back on Friday 31st January. Long time hey?? You would think so but I could have easily doubled the time and not have had long enough there !

Our Journey begins...Dubai (8th-12th)

The run up to our trip dragged like crazy - I just couldn't wait! I packed and un-packed a million times wanting to take the right clothes, the right shoes, EVERYTHING had to be perfect! Of course it turned out I took far too much - didn't wear half of it and had such a big back to lug about!

We drove to Heathrow the afternoon of the 8th and parked with Purple Parking which I thought was very proffesional and orgaised (would recommend). Our flight wasn't until 10pm and we had passes to the VIP lounge so wanted to make the most of it and got there early.

The plane journey to Dubai wasn't too bad and we were both impressed with the Emirates flight. First impressions of Dubai were great. It was quite cool (15degrees) when we arrived but it was only 7.30am. 

Ryans cousin, Craig was staying in an apartment on the Marina - gorgeous area and the Dusit hotel was lovely! 
Buildings were amazing!

The

first few days we had in Dubai were lovely - Ryan abslutely loved the place! The buildings were spectacular and we found the people very friendly. The second day we went to the beach which was nice, even though a bit overcast!






The sea scared me a bit but I am a baby when it comes to sea monsters or anything I can't see. I wore goggles and looked into the water and FREAKED out - looked like something from Jaws! I was in awe of the camels on the beach though. They are so funny! We then took a walk around the marina and admired the amazing concrete jungle - it really is impressive!

On the Friday when we got here, Craig took us to an awesome steak house in town and every Friday, all the rich men parade the town in there pretty awesome cars! Every other car you see was impressive! The only police car we saw was a Mclaren!
Police Car

Rolls Royce
On

the last day Ryan wanted to go to the water park. I didn't as it was cold and I hate the cold! OK it wasn't cold but over cast and about 25 degrees. Still too cold for me and I don't like water at the best of times (I suck as an Aquarious!). I definitely did enjoy our day out though and was surprised at how impressive some of the rides were. The most thrilling rides I had ever been on! Ryan did have to bully me to go on most of them as I am a baby when it comes to heights and being cold the last thing I wanted was to get wet but I am glad he did now.

Had the best chinese ever on our way out

This ride ended in a shark tank - pretty cool!




Yummy frozen yogurt

A lot steeper than it looks
So that was our final day in Dubai (1st stop) And we both thoroughly enjoyed it! Next stop...CAPE TOWN.

Cape Town (Paarl 12th-16th)

Really this is the part I had been waiting for most. Seeing my dad again after 10 years I have missed him very much and I am sure I have changed an awful lot to him! Also this lead up to when I was going to see my big brother again and the place I once called home! I was ridiculously excited/nervous!


I suddenly got very nervous after we had landed and drove (hired car) out of the airport. The reality of South Africa really hit home and I am sure it scared the crap out of poor Ryan after just leaving the Luxury of Dubai and seeing the site below as his first impression of South Africa. Can't see so well in the picture but for about 10 minutes there is just a continuous squater camp!

Can't see so well.
Finally we turned a corner (long road and lots of turns haha) I started to actually get goose bumps squealling like a baby - I started to remember the place, and it looked BEAUTIFUL! We decided to stop off at B n B to shower and change before going to see my dad but I couldn't wait!

Excited like a child!
Then

we headed off to see my dad :)
Ah this sight made me want to cry!
My dad was waiting for us to have a braai (BBQ) and the welcome we had was great! All the dogs, horses, chickens and even the pig came out to say hello.

Oprah the pig




Those bloody thumbs up!! Ryan and my dad
After the Braai - Ryan, my dad and I took the quad bikes up to Paarl rock, with the intention of having a drink up there and enjoying the view. However it was quite cold and getting late so it was just a quick drive up and back but was beautiful!
Its been 10 years since we last saw each other!





The seconds day in Cape Town we took a drive to Cape Town, had a meal by the beach and Ryan being a silly British guy thought it was a good idea to take a dip in the Atlantic - He was on his own on this one!




Loving the sunshine!
Poor Ryan looked like such a tourist! He had people chasing after him to buy their stuff - He even bought me an African painting thing which they claimed to be genuine. Since then we have seen hundreds of the same haha! We then took a drive to Camps Bay where we met Michelle who was filming a commercial for a Swedish Railway. The view was unreal and I thought it was a nice experience for Ryan too.
Check this out for a view
The commercial required a horse to be a unicorn - this is BLUE and he is stunning! We met a friend on the top of that cliff. A pigeon which followed us around for hours!





I was very excited for the following day as we were meeting Jonathan and Lulani at the airport! In the morning we took the quads out and went for breakfast at Rhebokskloof restaurant. That was lovely and it was so hot!





We then hit the airport to collect the brother. They both looked great with incredible tans after just coming from a week in Mozambique.
I love their fashion sense so bright and colourful!
That evening we went for dinner at a Pazza restaurant Amy raved about when she went over and it didn't fail. Was a really lovely restaurant!




The following day we did the most amazing hike. It was 14k long and along a river but was spectacular! 










Bus Tour - 4 day Garden route trip 26th-30th

The following day we headed off on our little adventure. The Bok Bus tour. We were greeted at the Airport by our guide, Benjamin. He turned out to be a wonderful man who really left an impression on all of us and he was a great guide! We started our 5 our bus ride dreading it but it seemed to go really quick! Had some stops on the way where we could take photos and enjoy the view. Ronnie's sex shop was our first stop.
It was just a bar but to get people to stop they called it a Sex Shop - it works!



The Cango caves were next up. Very fascinating - the story behind it was cool too. The bush men lived their lives at the very entrance of the caves as the couldn't see any further in and didn't know if there was anything. After explorers went in years later, they found an entire mantion inside the cave. With lots of tunnels and halls. It was a privilege to see!







We spent the evening in the Backpackers Paradise which was actually alright. We even had Ostrich meat for dinner.





The next day was all about the Ostriches. And probably turned into one of my favorite days in my entire life. It was awesome! The morning started off with a talk on Ostriches then a walk around the farm. We then had a chance to sit on them and Ryan and Jonathan actually rode them.

Lu sitting on an Ostrich




After a fairly long drive we stopped for lunch at Knysna.




Then it was the decision of whether or not to do the Bungy jump. Everything in me said absolutely NOT.
 It took a lot of Ryan's persuasion to get me to even concider doing it but in the end I thought - if I don't I will regret it and now I am so glad I did!

When we were all strapped up ready to do the jump, we all had a shot and a drink before hand for some dutch courage.


....
Absolutely gutted! Today is 16/09/2017 - 3 years after I wrote this post and I am kicking myself for not finishing it!!! The bunjee was the best bit!
This has given me fuel to start up blogging again as well as the YouTube blogging - Sarah Mey
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of fitness journey

Bit of insight into where my interest in fitness started ... As far back as I can remember I have always had insecurities about my weight, this probably stems from my darling brother! I was a chubby baby/child I guess, but he very kindly nicknamed me Oros - In South Africa, Oros is the name of the mascot for an orange squash. Although I was never overweight or fat in any way, it stuck with me that I was the chubby one - my sisters and brother are all skinny! I was a pretty average achiever. I always wanted to do more where athletics/sports team etc were concerned but was never great enough to stand out. I was the one that always went to practice but wasn't noticed, I preferred to mold into the back ground if I wasn't outstanding. I once did a race in primary school, the whole school was there to watch, I think I was coming like 3rd from the back and I didn't like it so pretended I hurt my foot so I didn't need to finish! Naughty naughty! I'm on the lef

Tough Mudder 2013

At the start of 2013 Ryan and I decided we would book all our events/holidays etc and get everything more organised financially and mentally than we had previously. We were planning to book a holiday to South Africa so we needed to be a lot more constructive and 'picky' on what we were going to get involved in. My definite s were 'Legends of Sherwood 10k' (my favourite event), 'Mens health survival of the fittest' (My big Goal) and ofcourse 'Nos Galan' (The big bang to start the new year).  After a few months, Ryan had started researching 'Tough Mudder' and after hearing his friend in Scotland, was going to be taking part, he wanted to do the challenge and eventually persuaded me to get involved too. Unfortunately we booked the event without realising it fell exactly 1 week before Mens Health-so we knew it was going to be an intense time! Tough Mudder  is supposed to be 'one of the toughest events on the planet' and is a 17k o